Australian court permits re-issue of shale drill grants to Empire Energy arm

Author of the article: MELBOURNE — An Australian court declared void on Thursday grants the federal government made to a subsidiary of Empire Energy Group for exploration drilling in the Beetaloo shale basin in the Northern Territory, but allowed them to be re-issued. The grants can be re-issued by Resources Minister Keith Pitt as the…
Australian court permits re-issue of shale drill grants to Empire Energy arm

Author of the article:

MELBOURNE — An Australian court declared void on Thursday grants the federal government made to a subsidiary of Empire Energy Group for exploration drilling in the Beetaloo shale basin in the Northern Territory, but allowed them to be re-issued.

The grants can be re-issued by Resources Minister Keith Pitt as the court rejected challenges to the government’s Beetaloo drilling grants program and approvals for Imperial Energy’s drilling under the scheme.

“This is a commonsense decision that will allow grants for the development of the Beetaloo Basin to proceed,” Pitt said in a statement.

The program had the potential to deliver thousands of jobs and billions of dollars in economic activity in Australia’s remote Northern Territory, he added.

Empire Managing Director Alex Underwood was not immediately available to comment on the court’s ruling.

The court voided A$21 million ($15 million) in grants to Imperial Energy, saying their issue was “unreasonable or capricious” at a time when it was considering a challenge by the Environment Centre NT Inc against the Beetaloo program and the Imperial approvals.

However it rejected Environment Centre NT’s arguments that the government should have weighed the impact on climate change and on Australia’s ability to meet carbon emissions targets before setting up the program.

Justice John Griffiths said those were not factors the government needed to consider, as the program and the grants were for exploration drilling and not gas production.

Empire is one of several companies, including Santos Ltd and Origin Energy, that are exploring shale acreage in the Northern Territory, which is estimated to hold 200 trillion cubic feet of shale gas resources.

Empire’s shares were put on a trading halt on Thursday pending the decision. ($1=A$1.3866) (Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Himani Sarkar and Clarence Fernandez)

Financial Post Top Stories

Sign up to receive the daily top stories from the Financial Post, a division of Postmedia Network Inc.

By clicking on the sign up button you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc. You may unsubscribe any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails. Postmedia Network Inc. | 365 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3L4 | 416-383-2300

Read More

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Posts
Salona Global Medical Device Corporation Publishes Investor Call Recording
Read More

Salona Global Medical Device Corporation Publishes Investor Call Recording

Author of the article: SAN DIEGO, Dec. 15, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Salona Global Medical Device Corporation (“ Salona ” or the “ Company ”) (TSXV:SGMD), an acquisition-oriented medical device company serving the global injury and surgery recovery (known as recovery science) market, has posted a recording of last week’s investor call on its website.…
Rogers, Shaw make deal to sell Freedom Mobile to Quebecor for $2.85B in hopes of getting merger approval
Read More

Rogers, Shaw make deal to sell Freedom Mobile to Quebecor for $2.85B in hopes of getting merger approval

Rogers and Shaw struck a blockbuster merger agreement last year, but it has been delayed after the Competition Bureau concluded the combined company would reduce wireless competition and raise prices A Freedom Mobile store in Toronto. Photo by Peter J. Thompson/National Post/File Rogers Communications Inc. and Shaw Communications Inc. have struck a deal to sell…
Zee, Sony unit merger gets approval from India competition regulator
Read More

Zee, Sony unit merger gets approval from India competition regulator

Author of the article: NEW DELHI — India’s competition regulator on Tuesday approved a merger between the Indian unit of Japan’s Sony and Zee Entertainment Enterprises that will create a $10-billion TV behemoth, but with certain conditions. The Competition Commission of India did not elaborate on the conditions. Sony said it would wait for remaining…